Entries for the 2021 Women’s Rodeo World Championship (WRWC) closed yesterday, October 14 at 5 p.m. CT, and now that the final number of athletes competing in each of the four disciplines (heading, heeling, breakaway roping, and barrel racing) have been finalized, we have some announcements to make regarding the final schedule, format, advancing positions and how vacant seeded positions will be filled.
Following the completion of entries, here are the final entry numbers in each classification:
Pro – 27 teams
Challenger – 29 teams
Pro – 22 athletes
Challenger – 44 athletes
Futurity Sidepot – 6 athletes (entries remain open until 10/27)
Youth Sidepot – 8 athletes (entries remain open until 10/27)
Pro – 31 athletes
Challenger – 28 athletes
Based on these numbers, the WRWC team has made necessary adjustments to modify the format to produce a successful event with competitive rounds and a respectable payout. NOTE: The overall competition format and guaranteed payout of $750,000 remains unchanged. This is going to be a great event, and we look forward to seeing you all in Las Vegas.
The modifications are as follows:
- All Preliminary Rounds have been removed from the competition. This decision was made primarily because the number of athletes that would’ve been eligible to compete in the Preliminary Round would’ve all been guaranteed to advance to the next round due to the advancement numbers.
- See the final schedule HERE
The updated WRWC Ground Rules will include all rules related to the Preliminary Rounds shown with green strikethrough text (
Preliminary) to denote rules or portions of rules that are no longer applicable to the overall format.
How does removing the Preliminary Rounds apply to each discipline?
- All barrel racing athletes will begin the competition in the Progressive Round
- The Preliminary Round added money of $7,500 will be rolled into the Progressive Round. This means that the Progressive Round will now payout a total of $37,500 as a 4D payout.
- The Preliminary and Progressive Round payout will be merged.
- Payout will now be a 4D payout format (no CHL side pot as previously noted)
- Competition Format for Progressive Round does not change.
- 11 advance due to a seeded athlete not entering
Breakaway Roping and Team Roping:
- The Competition Formats for the Qualifying Rounds through the Main Event will remain unchanged.
- Any unfilled positions inside of the “Top 30” were filled by the next alternate. Alternates are athletes that entered the event outside of the Top 30 and paid the $1,000 entry fee. These positions were filled in order of leaderboard position and will only be offered to athletes that met the VRQ minimum point threshold of having more than 15 points. Those athletes will be refunded their $1,000 entry fee (not including transaction fees). If there are any athletes that entered the event as an OPEN athlete, and did not have the minimum 15 points, they will still be required to pay the $3,000 entry fee.
- If any of the Top 4 seeded positions chose not to enter the event, those seeded positions will be filled during the competition. All leaderboard benefits only apply to the original Top 4 athletes.
And for the Top 4 seeded athletes in each discipline that have received the complimentary hotel, Casey Duggan will be contacting the hotel to discuss how they prefer to make updates to everyone’s check in date. Once he has those details, he will send out the updated information to this group of athletes with additional instructions.
Questions about this, please contact Casey Duggan at [email protected]
- If you have any modifications that you’d like to make to your stall reservations, please contact Open Stalls directly to make those changes by emailing [email protected] (not .com)
- Exhibition Runs in the barrel racing will now be available on Thursday Morning from 9am – 12pm
- Exhibitions will be ran in order of Progressive Round draw order twice through (1-22 Pros, 1-44 Challengers)
- Only one time through per run allowed per athlete at a one-minute time limit
- Additional open arena times will be available each day
- Stock Run through will be on Tuesday, October 26 at 11 a.m.. Athletes are invited to participate in this. We will also be setting the rope barrier during this time. We will run a few head in each discipline so everyone in attendance can see the start.
The WRWC team is extremely grateful for all of you that believe in this event and have planned to come compete for THE LARGEST payout in Women’s Rodeo. We have set out to make this a phenomenal event, and we will continue to strive to make it larger and more successful year after year.
If you have any questions about these changes, please reach out to our team directly at 800-575-WRWC or email [email protected].